I am an accidental abolitionist. I just fell into it, really. Once exposed to the atrocities of modern-day slavery, it’s impossible to forget … to grow apathetic.
There are many things I love about these videos. While some of these people did huge things, others just did what they could from their home town. Every one of them employed their own gifts and passions to make a difference.
We don’t need a cookie-cutter approach to loving our neighbors, to promoting justice, but we can’t sit idle. We need to make a move.
You don’t have to storm the gates, march on Washington or make some zealous effort to raise funds. You certainly could, but, if that’s not where God is calling you, I certainly won’t push you in that direction. I will ask you to do something.
If you’re in northern New Jersey, I invite you to join us TONIGHT at the Bergen PAC.
The NJ Coalition Against Human Trafficking is hosting its annual awareness event, and it’s huge. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the issue and explore initiatives for combating modern-day slavery in 2014.
The event will include:
- The New Jersey Debut of ”A Day In The Life,” a live performance of survivor stories written by teens and performed by teens
- Courtney Wong singer/songwriter and anti-Human Trafficking activist
- Special guest speaker, Somaly Mam
- Justice Movement Dancers
- Bergen Performing Arts Center (PAC), Englewood, NJ
First steps to fight human trafficking:
Want some more ideas? Try one of these:
- PRAY. Pray for the victims and the oppressors. Pray for rescue. Pray for justice. Pray for clear direction as to how you can help in the battle for freedom.
- EDUCATE YOURSELF and OTHERS. Learn about the facts, about the issue and current movements to bring about abolition. Here’s a great list of books, movies and articles.
- JOIN THE #HTCHALLENGE. This is an social media campaign leading up to the Super Bowl. It’s easy to participate and, with your involvement, could make a huge impact. Click HERE for more information, free resources and more.
- EXPLORE LOCAL OPPORTUNITIES. Human trafficking isn’t a far away issue. It could be right in your back yard. Chances are a group or organization of activists already exists in your area. Find one. See how you can help. If you’re in Northern New Jersey, I invite you to join Justice Network. Visit our website and get on the mailing list or attend a meeting. We’d love to have you.
- SUPPORT ACTIVE ORGANIZATIONS. IJM, The Exodus Road, Samaritan’s Purse, World Vision, A21, Love-True … These are just a few of the fantastic organizations on the front line of this issue. Click here for more.
TALK TO ME: How do you fight for justice?