A friend and fellow writer interrupted launched a challenge called 52 Books. Those who participate will attempt to read 52 books (or more) in 2014. Simple enough, except … well, I don’t think I’ve ever read that many books in one year. My record might be in the mid-forties (not including the hundreds of children’s books read every year).
I used to keep track of my reading lists annually, but stopped when I started writing the Big Word Bible Studies. The research and work that went into those severely diminished my ability (and interest) to read for pleasure or personal edification. Even the number of children’s books I read has decreased, thanks to my kids diving into chapter books and independent reading. ANYWHO…
I want to start reading more. Angry Birds and Words with Friends are total time vortexes; I feel quite convicted about the poor use of my time. SO — I’m accepting the challenge and we’ll see how it goes. Hopefully, in a year you’ll find me wiser and more rounded in my education and knowledge.
In the meantime, I’ve begun a list of the 52 Books I’d like to read. All of these are nonfiction books. Let’s face it: I rarely plan to read novels, but I always do. The nonfiction titles are the ones that require a bit more intention and planning. Sub-genres are provided in a parenthesis after each.
- 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker (CHRISTIAN LIVING; Memoir)
- The Jesus-Hearted Woman: 10 Leadership Qualities for Enduring and Endearing Influence by Jodi Detrick (CHRISTIAN LIVING; Leadership)
- Walt Disney: An American Original by Bob Thomas (BIOGRAPHY)
- Balanced: Finding Center as a Work-at-Home Mom by Tricia Goyer (WORK and FAMILY LIFE BALANCE)
- Jesus in the Present Tense by Warren Wiersbe (BIBLE STUDY)
- One Way Love: Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World by Tullian Tchividjian (CHRISTIAN LIVING; Theology)
- Six Ways to Keep the Little in Your Girl by Dannah Gresh (PARENTING)
- Six Ways to Keep the Good in Your Boy by Dannah Gresh (PARENTING)
- A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul E. Miller (CHRISTIAN LIVING; Prayer)
- Small Things with Great Love: Adventures in Loving Your Neighbor by Margot Starbuck (CHRISTIAN LIVING; Social Justice)
- Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie Davis (MEMOIR) <— This one has been on my list since it was first published in 2011. I have yet to get past Chapter 4 without collapsing in tears. Maybe this will be the year I finally get through the whole book!
- Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World by Bob Goff (CHRISTIAN LIVING)
- The Exodus Road: One Wife’s Journey into Sex Trafficking and Rescue by Laura Parker (MEMOIR; Social Justice)
- Passport Through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances by Kimberly L. Smith (MEMOIR; Social Justice)
- Secrets to E-Book Publishing Success by Mark Coker (PUBLISHING)
- The Book of Common Sense Writing, Editing, and Small Press Publishing by Chila Woychik (PUBLISHING)
- Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World by Michael Hyatt (PUBLISHING)
- Christianish by Mark Steele (CHRISTIAN LIVING)
- Running Scared by Edward T. Welch (CHRISTIAN LIVING)
- Multiply: Disciples Making Disciples by Francis Chan (CHRISTIAN LIVING; Leadership)
TALK TO ME: Are you taking a reading challenge for the new year? Tell me about it.